Hasunjung Fish Sauce - Sand Lance (Kkanari)
Sand Lance Fish Sauce (or Kkanari Aekjeot, 까나리 액젓) is one of the Korean fish sauces, often used in kimchi making for that deep unami and salty flavour without being too overly pungent as well as to accelerate the fermentation process of newly made kimchi. There are also instances where it is also used in Korean side dishes and soup/stew for an extra umami.
Made and tasted similary to Anchovy Fish Sauce (or Myeolchi Aekjeot,멸치액젓), Sand Lance Sauce is made with sand lances instead. Sand lances, commonly known as sand eels thought related to true eels, likes to bury themselves in sand when they need to hide.
As such, many Koreans think that the fermented sauce made from this particular fish results in a milder, smoother, cleaner and less fishy taste as compared to the common anchovy sauce.
Here are some reasons why we chose Hasunjung Fish Sauce - Sand Lance (Kkanari):
- High quality salted fish fermented twice in “additional fermentation”: The additional method was applied to the fish sauce to create a rich aroma and deep flavour.
- Enjoy deep-flavoured kimchi with the highest quality salted fish sauce! Fermented twice in a layering method to reduce the fishy scent and preserve the savoury taste.
- 100% Natural Ingredients used: Using only “South Coast anchovies and pure sea salt”. It’s 100% natural ingredient extract.
Sand lance sauce can also be used interchangeably or in combination with the anchovy sauce when making Kimchi. Consider this one if you're trying sand lance for the very first time! This fish sauce has a well balance of taste and smell, delivering deep flavour for any type of Kimchi you wish to make or mix with.
Check out how we've previously this fish sauce in our Kimchi Jijgae recipe below!
- Best used in making Kimchi especially napa cabbage kimchi, cucumber kimchi, Korean braised dishes, muchim or jjigae.
- Good substitute for salt or soy sauce in braising, stir-frying and making stews
Mukbang Mart's Checklist
- Bringing the BEST of Korean Food to YOU!
- Sourced locally and from Korea for YOU!
- Tested and Reviewed!
|Storage||Room temperature · Store in a cool place and avoid direct sunlight.|
|Expiry||February 04, 2022|
|Size||W6.2cm x H22cm|
Fermented Sand Lance Sauce (Sand Lance, Salt), Water, Salt
*This product is manufactured in manufacturing facilities that use soybeans, wheat, shrimp and shellfish.